Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive show news, updates, and more!
Kyle Busch Has Some Words For Joey Logano After Clash At The Coliseum ‘Disaster’
What Kyle Busch described as "disrespect from everyone" led to a bevy of cautions at the Los Angeles Coliseum.
Epic fireworks, check. A rocking musical interlude performed by the incomparable Wiz Khalifa, check. Stock car racing in an iconic Hollywood institution, check and check. If you tuned into the second annual 2023 Busch Light Clash at the Coliseum last night, by all accounts, you were treated to a visual feast, but as is the case with NASCAR events from time to time, taking a closer look under the hood tells a much different story. Just ask two-time Cup Series champion Kyle Busch who, in no-holds-barred post-race interview, railed against his fellow competitors, specifically Joey Logano, who sent Busch careening in Lap 86 to bring out one of the many caution flags on the day.
"[Joey] Logano didn't get hit by nobody; he just flat-out drove through me," a seething Busch noted after the race. "So, he's got another one coming. I owe him a few."
RELATED: NASCAR’s Kyle Larson And Wife Katelyn Welcome New Baby Boy To The Family
While Busch is known for delivering often scorching, sometimes hyperbolic post-race assessments, his frustrations this time around appear to be rooted in reality as the tight racing at LA’s Memorial Coliseum this year generated a lot of on-track chaos, preventing the race from ever truly finding any blistering momentum. For comparison, last year’s inaugural race produced five cautions in the 150-lap main event while the bumper-to-bumper action this year delivered what felt like a never-ending slew of spin outs, most featuring two or more cars, amounting to a whopping 16 cautions. Martin Truex Jr. won this year’s race, but his victory felt overshadowed by all of the incidents.
“Last year’s show I felt … was relatively clean and good racing, some bumping, some banging, but we could run long stretches of green-flag action, where today was … I would call it a disaster with the disrespect from everybody of just driving through each other and not just letting everything kind of work its way out,” Busch continued.
“But it’s a quarter mile,” he added. “It’s tight-quarters racing. Actually, this is probably how it should have gone last year, so we got spoiled with a good show the first year. Maybe this was just normal.”
Busch, who made his racing debut in Richard Childress Racing’s No. 8 Chevrolet Camaro, later clarified his comments in a SiriusXM Satellite Radio interview after the race, firing more direct shots at Logano, who won last year’s Clash on his way to a Cup Series championship.
"It's really unfortunate to get raced by guys that are so two-faced," detailed Busch. "We were in the TV booth earlier in the night together, and when we were all done with that, he was like, 'Hey man, good luck tonight,' and I said, 'Great, thanks, yeah. Whatever.' And then, low and behold, there you go, he wrecks me.”
"Don't even talk to me if you're going to be that kind of an [expletive] on the racetrack."
With the Daytona 500 scheduled for February 16, one would think that there’s enough time for cooler heads to prevail prior to The Great American Race, but that said, this is NASCAR, and when drivers like Kyle Busch speak about getting payback, that can only mean one thing: it's happening sooner or later.
Can't get enough NASCAR action? Catch up on “Race For The Championship,” on Peacock.
USA Insider is your source for all things USA, from behind-the-scenes access to breaking news, information about USA’s original shows, and much more. Sign up for USA Insider and be the first to get extras and updates on your favorite shows.