We asked a registered dietitian nutritionist for her favorite grocery list staples to make sure you’ll have everything you need to prepare meals throughout the week — all without having to make a return trip to the store.
The items on our list are chosen with versatility in mind. Most will last long enough to pull double duty as ingredients in a nutritious breakfast on one day, with plenty left over to help you work up a tasty evening meal the next. Planning ahead helps save time and money — and best of all, it helps keep you on track!
Here is the list:
- Feta cheese
- Tomato sauce
- Sweet potatoes
- Black beans
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Greek yogurt
- Old-fashioned oats
- Frozen fruit
- Peanut butter
- Baby spinach
What can you do using just these 18 simple ingredients as the foundation for your week-long meal plan? Lots! Here are just a few delicious and easy meal ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to get you started.
- Overnight oats prepared with milk — topped with berries and peanut butter
- Breakfast tacos with eggs, sautéed peppers, salsa, and feta cheese
- Frozen fruit smoothie with a blending base of Greek yogurt and milk
- Baked egg muffins with spinach, peppers, and feta cheese
- Baked sweet potatoes topped with black beans, avocado, salsa, and feta cheese
- Peanut butter & banana “sushi” — Roll a whole wheat wrap filled with peanut butter and banana
- Spinach salad with chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, feta cheese, and apples
- Avocado egg salad wrap with spinach
- Sweet potato & black bean tacos topped with salsa, feta cheese, and an avocado & Greek yogurt crema
- Breakfast Shakshuka (the word literally means “mixture”) — a tangy dish of baked eggs in tomato sauce and spinach, topped with feta cheese
- Chicken stir fry with peppers and broccoli, topped with avocado
- Sweet potato veggie egg hash (sweet potatoes, spinach, and broccoli)
- Grilled chicken with sweet potato fries and roasted broccoli
Remember — our list is only a start, and it’s super-easy to tweak these meals by swapping out an ingredient here and
there with a Biggest Loser-approved replacement to suit your taste. But you don’t have to stop here! Now that you’re on track with our list, what nutritious and tasty meal creations can you dream up?
Click here for recipes from The Biggest Loser.
Catch The Biggest Loser Tuesday at 9/8c on USA!