30 Seconds to Mars
"A story of life, love, death, pain, joy, and passion. Of what it is to be human" is how singer/guitarist Jared Leto describes 30 Seconds to Mars' new release A BEAUTIFUL LIE. 30 Seconds to Mars' self title 2002 debut established the group as a fresh, new force, revealing a multi-faceted outfit that thrived on creative exploration and escape.
A BEAUTIFUL LIE, produced by Josh Abraham, is an entirely new, far renewal that feature energetic keyboards, vast, abrasive guitars and infectious vocals. From start to finish, A Beautiful Lie is a story riddled with pain, frustration, ambition and ultimately purifications. It is a bracing soundtrack to a life in turmoil and a testament to the durability of the human spirit.
Click here to read 30 Seconds to Mars' complete bio
Jared Leto --guitars and vocals
Shannon Leto --drums
Tomo Milicevic --guitars
Matt Wachter -- bass
- Started in 1998 by brothers Jared and Shannon
- Influences include Pink Floyd, The Cure, Bjork, Rush, The Who, Depeche Mode, U2, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd
- The band's logo bears the phrase "Provehito in Altum", which roughly translated in Latin means "Launch forth into the deep".
- Band wrote 40 songs for A Beautiful Lie before paring it down to only 10
- "The Kill" spent 20+ weeks on the charts and was nominated for Best Rock Video at the 2006 MTV Video Music Awards
Questions for the Artist (as answered by Jared Leto)
Where does the band's name come from?
It "actually comes from a thesis that we found online it was written by a former Harvard professor. And one of the subsections of the thesis was titled 'thirty seconds to mars' and he goes on to talk about the expediential growth of technology that relates to humans and saying that we are quite literally thirty seconds to mars. What it means to us is, we thought it best described our music, in short." – Matt Wachter
What makes you a character?
All the worlds a stage. -geddy lee from rush
What three things couldn't you live without?
Air, water, fire
What is on your play list?
Yanni's greatest hits. Menudo the golden years and anything by the bee gees.
The last thing that made me laugh out loud was...
This question!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA
The craziest or most daring thing you have ever done?
Sold my liver on the open market in India.
Who are your mentors?
Steven Hawkings, Dr. Suess, and JoJo
- Lollapalooza Performance
- Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Last Call with Carson Daly, Jimmy Kimmel and Late Show with David Letterman performances
- Currently finishing up on the road
- 2002 – 30 Seconds to Mars
- 2005 – A Beautiful Lie