Colony co-creator Ryan Condal sat down with George R. R. Martin and IGN to discuss their respective shows, talk about the golden age of sci-fi and fantasy that we’re living in, and why Colony and Game of Thrones are right at the forefront of it. Check out some of the fun facts we learned from their interview, and watch the full clip below.
1. When talking about how receiving notes ultimately made Colony and Game of Thrones better, Condal reveals that the his pilot actually had aliens in it! They were told to remove them, and this was the best note since it freed them up to make Colony the show they wanted it to be.
2. Both agree that lists ranking and comparing sci-fi and fantasy shows and movies help to educate the fandom, encourage welcome debate between fans, and in turn, allows them to incorporate new themes into their works. Check out our list of the greatest invasion stories of all time!
3. Martin revealed the Colony scene that traumatized him the most: when the teacher got arrested for teaching Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451. This influenced his choice for what he’d hoard if he were living in an Occupied area.
4. Condal and Carlton Cuse know how they want Colony to end, and thought of it before they even wrote the pilot. They’ve already given a ton of thought to the Bowman family’s arc and evolution throughout the series.
5. Telling a story that was from the family’s point of view was really important to Condal, because he explained that audiences respond well to shows that ask them to be an active participant in the story. Fans can agree with this: when you watch the Bowman family, you’re caring deeply for them!
To get more facts, and to hear what Ryan Condal and George R. R. Martin would stockpile if they were Colonists, watch the full clip below.
MORE: Here's What Every Colony Fan Should Be Reading